Top 5 Places to Fish in South Florida
South Florida is known for many things including its beautiful beaches and endless amounts of outdoor activities. A world famous sport in South Florida and also a true passion to many is fishing. Fishing is the 2nd most popular sport in the United States. From deep sea marlin fishing to spear fishing, Florida has made a name for itself in this popular outdoor hobby.
- The first popular place to fish is Government Cut located along 18th Street on Miami Beach. The area is located in front of Fisher Island. During the winter time this is the tarpon central. Here, you can also find yellowtail snapper, grouper, barracuda and cobia.
- Key Biscayne is where you can have some fun while you fish along its beautiful ocean waters. Just South of the end parts of Key Biscayne, the waters can range anywhere from 80-200 feet deep. This is where many of the artificial reefs are located and hold very good bottom fishing for grouper, snapper and amberjack fish. If you are looking along the fishing surface lines you will find sailfish, kingfish, dolphin and some wahoo.
- The next spot is a great place to take your family for a beginner’s session on some dry land or by boat. The Plantation Heritage Fish Management Area, located in Plantation Heritage Park, is known for its bass fishing and catfishing. The area is also very scenic making for a relaxing experience. The park also has fish feeders on site making it easier to catch bream and catfish. The catfish can be up to 12.5 pounds and the channel catfish are usually stocked annually, about 4,000 fish per year. Since this area is a Fishing Management area there are some restrictions. There is a one pole per person rule and you must have a valid freshwater fishing license if you are older than 16.
- If you are looking for something on land only than a pier/dock would be the perfect place for you. Anglins Fishing Pier is located in Lauderdale by the Sea and is only a few miles from the Gulf Stream. It is always exciting fishing here because you never know what you are going to catch! Some fish you may see include king mackerel, tarpon and sailfish.
- If you are looking for a fun time with dad then Blackpoint Marina is the perfect location. Located near Biscayne National Park, the marina has a jetty that extends 1.5 miles into the bay for casting some great fish. There is plenty of things to do at Blackpoint Marina like enjoying their dockside restaurant and bar, large picnic pavilion and grill or taking your bikes along the bike trails. Here, you will find types of fish like bonefish, tarpon and other saltwater species.